Sunday, September 15, 2013

Mom and Maple Trees

Awoke at 6 am to Mom having another coughing fit.  Went up and gave her a little cough syrup and she settled down and was able to go back to sleep.  I started with the antibiotics yesterday, I hope they help, she is sounding very raspy.  I will stay home with Mom this morning while Frank goes to early Mass, the choir is singing and they need bass much more than  alto, I will go to a later Mass when he gets home. 

Friday I made homemade Chicken Noodle Soup for Mom to try to kick this cold she has.  As always when I make soup I plan a second meal on my weekly menu that uses the remaining chicken and broth.  Today I will be making Chicken Pot Pie.  My family loves it and it is easy peasy.



Chicken Pot Pie

1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. flour
salt and pepper to taste
2 c. chicken broth
1/2 t. thyme
2 c. cooked chicken, cut into bite size pieces
1 (15oz) package frozen mixed vegetables
1 refrigerated pie crust

Melt butter in sauce pan over med low heat, add flour, salt and pepper and blend cooking until flour starts to brown a bit. Gradually stir in chicken broth and bring to a moderate boil.  Add thyme, vegetables and chicken to gravy and mix well.  Pour into a deep dish pie plate or a casserole pan and cover with the refrigerated pie crust, cutting slits to vent steam  Bake at 400 for 50-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Print Recipe

This spring my Maple that lives in the middle of my decks had a baby in one of my pots in which I grow herbs.  I decided to leave it be and see what happened.

 
 
It did very well and we are supposed to get a good rain this evening so it was a perfect day to get it planted into our yard.
 
 
Hopefully it will survive the winter and grow to be big and strong like it's mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.