Friday, February 21, 2014

Something Fishy Friday

I am getting ready to make a confession here...I sometimes still use processed foods when I cook. I know I preach about raising my own food, buying organic and local and avoiding processed foods but the truth is....I like some processed foods.

I can't imagine cooking every single night without Campbell's Soups, Jiffy Baking Mix or Bisquick, All Purpose Flour, White granulated sugar, Nestles Chocolate Chips, well you get the idea....

Tonight for dinner we are having Lemon Pepper Cod and this is one of the dishes that I prepare using a premade sauce.  It is quick, easy and yummy....so there you go.  For those who are stronger than I in their resolve not to use processed foods, I am sure that you could get some lemon and butter and make your own sauce.  I have many fish recipes that I make using my own sauce but not tonight....Tonight is a McCormick's night.

Lemon Butter Cod
courtesy of McCormick Lemon Butter Dill Sau

1 lb. Cod Fillets
1 (8 oz) bottle McCormick Lemon Butter Dill Sauce

Place Cod fillets into a 9x13 baking dish.  Pour sauce over fish.  Bake at 425* for 10-15 minutes or until fish flakes with a fork. Print Recipe

I am making a Rice Pilaf to go along with the Fish.  I got my idea for this Wild Rice Pilaf with vegetables from a Campbell's recipe that I have made quite often.  Today I am changing it up a bit to work with what I have in my fridge and pantry.



Rice Pilaf
adapted from Campbell's

2 c. Royal Blend Rice, prepared to package directions using chicken broth instead of water.
1/2 c. Butter
1 small onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled, halved and sliced
1 stalk celery, halved and sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1 small stalk broccoli, blanched and chopped

 While Rice is cooking.  Melt butter into a saute pan over medium heat.  Add vegetables and saute until carrots are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes.  Season vegetables with salt and pepper to taste.
Combine rice and vegetables and place into a greased casserole.  Bake at 375* for 20-30 minutes or until heated through.  Print Recipe

And since I am on a packaged food kick today I decided to make a banana cream pie using a premade graham cracker crust and jello instant pudding.  I did make the whipped cream from scratch though LOL.



Banana Cream Pie

1 graham cracker crust
1 pkg.(5 oz) instant vanilla pudding mix
2 1/2 c. milk
2 large ripe bananas
1/2 pint heavy cream (whipping cream)
2 t. powdered sugar

Make pudding according to package directions using only 2 1/2 c. milk.  Slice bananas onto bottom of graham cracker crust, it is okay if they are piled on top of each other.  Pour pudding over bananas and refrigerate the pie for at least 2 hrs.  When ready to serve, place whipping cream and powdered sugar into small bowl of a stand mixer and beat using the whisk attachment until light and fluffy.  Serve each slice of pie with a dollop of whipped cream.  Print Recipe




2 comments:

  1. If I ever decided that I wasn't going to use process or prepared food my family would starve!! That fish sounded delish! We don't have fish very often as Harley isn't fond of it! Wait a minute, I think that is putting it mildly. She hates fish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is how we learned to cook...and relearning something is hard to do. The fish was delicious and the sauce could also be used on chicken breast so perhaps fish for the rest of the family and chicken for Harley one night.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.