Friday, March 21, 2014

Let's spice things up a little

Most of the recipes I am making for tonight's dinner are on my recipe page and have been linked to the post where the recipes can be found.  But I have never posted my recipe for Arrabbiata Sauce.  Usually, if it is just our family, I make Marinara because Frank and Mom are not big on spice.  But I love some spice in my life!!!  My Arrabbiata is not nearly as spicy as some I have enjoyed but I try to be considerate of the rest of my family.  You can feel free to make it spicier by upping the amount of crushed red pepper to your taste.


Arrabbiata Sauce

1 T. olive oil
1 lg. onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c. dry red wine
1 T. sugar
1 T. fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/2 t. crushed red pepper
2 T. tomato paste
1 T. lemon juice
1 t. oregano, crushed
1 t. thyme, crushed
1 (28 oz) can diced Italian tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a large sauce pan over med heat.  Add onions and garlic and saute until onion is soft and translucent.  Deglaze the pan with the wine.  Add the sugar, basil, crushed red pepper, lemon juice, thyme and oregano.  Stir until combined and fragrant.  Add the tomatoes, bring to a boil and then reduce heat and cook for 20-25 minutes over low heat.  Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.  Serve over your favorite pasta and pass the parmesan cheese.  Print Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.