Monday, April 28, 2014

Humdrum Monday

I can tell that I had a very busy last couple of weeks because today I have no

  •  gumption,
  •  energy,
  •  get up and go, 
  • oomph
  • ....I got nothing.
It is after Noon and I am still lounging around on my bed.  Just so you don't think I am too slothful...I have been up and down a few times...

  • I emptied and loaded the dishwasher,
  •  got Mom and Nancy breakfast,
  •  threw in some laundry,
  •  folded some laundry, 
  • took care of the chicks...
but I have not made my bed...and in between each of my simple little chores, I have returned to my bed and

  • played on my computer,
  •  read my book,
  •  talked on the phone and 
  • basically did nothing.  
It's been great!!!


But it is almost over, my day of relaxing, because Nancy leaves in 45 minutes and then my day begins whether I am ready or not.

Kim is in town so we will be having yoga here tonight and we are scheduled for the next 4 weeks in a row. So eventually I will be going down to make sure the basement is presentable.  We had our Meatless Monday Dinner before yoga tonight since Ting wasn't feeling well and stayed home from work today. Normally, we would yoga first because you don't want to eat within an hour before class and Ting wouldn't be home in time from work but tonight we had dinner at 5pm.

We were originally having Pasta with Tomatoes and Spinach tonight but I ended up using the spinach for last night's sauteed greens.  But I have other goodies in my fridge so now we are having Pasta Primavera instead.
Pasta Primavera is simply any pasta you have in the cupboard tossed with any vegetables you have in the refrigerator.  That's it.....easy peasy.


I pulled out a variety of vegetables that were in my refrigerator.


Heat 1 T. butter with 1 T. olive oil


Then you start sauteeing the vegetables in batches.
Season each batch with salt and pepper as you go.
Always start with the aromatics.


Next add in any hard vegetables that are going to take the longest to cook.
Cut the veggies into uniform pieces.


After a minute or two, add the softer vegetables.


Add the tomatoes, if using, at the very end.


Add the Italian Seasonings when you add the tomatoes.


Deglaze the pan with the wine, scraping up any browned bits.
Then add the chicken broth and boil until reduced and thickened.


Toss with cooked pasta and enjoy.

Pasta Primavera

1 med. onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
4 cups of  a variety of vegetables, the more colorful the better, cut into uniform pieces
1 T. butter
1 T. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 t. thyme
1/4 t. oregano
1/2 t. basil
1/2 c. white wine
1 c. chicken broth
8 oz. pasta, cooked according to package directions

Melt butter into oil over med high heat in a large saucepan.  Add onions and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook until softened and fragrant.  Add any hard vegetables, (carrots, brocolli, green beans, etc) season with salt and pepper and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring frequently.  Add the soft vegetables, (summer squash, zucchini, mushrooms, etc) except tomatoes, if using, and cook for another minute.  Add any tomatoes and the thyme, oregano and basil.  Add the wine and deglaze the pan scraping up any browned bits stuck to the bottom and sides.  Add the chicken broth and let cook for 2-3 minutes, until the liquid is reduced and thickened.  Toss with pasta of your choice, cooked according to package directions.

8 comments:

  1. YUM! I made pasta for just me for lunch today. I used one of my last 2 "pesto cubes" from my widely successful basil plants last summer. Perfect timing, I guess - I'm putting the new plants in this weekend. Pasta is just plain good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this stuff but I don't use salt at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Candy, that is the great thing about recipes, we can always tweak them to our tastes and ingredients we have on hand. Happy you stopped by.

      Delete
  3. Hi, this looks like a nice recipe. How much chicken broth are you using? I didn't find that stated anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by and for letting me know I omitted that information in my recipe. I have edited it now . I hope you enjoy the meal.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.