Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Yep, it is definitely Spring.

The weather yesterday was gorgeous. Today not so much but April showers bring May flowers, so life is good.  We know for sure that it is Spring now because 1. My chick's arrived and 2. Frank had a tick climbing on him today.  Welcome to A Day in the Life on the Farm!!

I wanted to mention that we watched "Cloud Atlas" last night.  It was a very intriguing movie.  I think it is one of those movies you could watch numerous times and always catch something you missed the previous times.  I would recommend it, but not on a night when you want something lighthearted.  However we did laugh out loud during a couple of scenes, but it was a very intense movie and required your complete concentration.

Today I had the backpack program after which I stopped by for the church linens.  I had forgotten it was my week for them this weekend. After delivering the backpacks, my friend, Sandy, invited me over for lunch.  She served me a delicious hamburger soup and blueberry pie ala mode. Mmmmm.

The next stop for me was Family Farm and Home to get the Seresto flea and tick collars for the dogs.  This will take care of any other ticks that came into my house.  We used these collars last year with great success.

I thought I would be sore today after out marathon bike ride yesterday but I am not at all sore. In fact, I felt so good that I was planning on going for a walk this afternoon but after all my other running around I ran out of oooomph.

I used our leftover lamb from Easter to make dinner tonight.  Mom is at Dawn's and Frank has a late meeting and probably won't be home until 9 pm or there about, Max is having dinner at Emily's and I am not sure what is going on with Tingting and Tony tonight so a casserole is perfect.  We can just reheat a portion and eat in shifts and leftovers can be taken to work tomorrow for lunch.

I found this recipe for using leftover lamb on About.com, Southern Food Section, submitted by Diana Rattray.  I had all the ingredients called for and there is nothing I needed to adjust for my family's taste so I made the recipe with very slight adaptations.


It was as if my guests knew just how much leftover lamb I needed.


Season the onions and mushrooms and saute in butter.


Add remaining ingredients except cheese.
Add the tomatoes last.
The juice from the tomatoes will deglaze the pan so you don't leave all those tasty little morsels stuck to the bottom.


Turn into a treated casserole and sprinkle with cheese.


There is no reason for this photo.
I just wanted to show off my casserole, that I got from my daughter for Christmas, once again.


It looked good.


And it tasted good.
I think in the future I would add some garlic to this dish.



Lamb Casserole
slightly adapted from About.com, Southern Food, by Diana Rattray

2 c. cooked lamb, diced
2 T. butter
1 small onion, diced
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1/2 t. curry powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 c. cooked rice
1 lg can or 2 small cans diced tomatoes
1/4 c. Parmesan Cheese, shredded.

Saute onions and mushrooms over med-high heat until onions are softened and mushrooms are browned. Season with salt, pepper and curry, add in remaining ingredients except for cheese.  Pour into a casserole prepared with cooking spray.  Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake at 350* until hot and bubbly, about 30-40 minutes.
Print Recipe


4 comments:

  1. All my favorite things...except I've never been a lamb eater. Probably because I never once had it as a child. And then the first time I tried it was at a questionable venue for lamb experimentation! I always have pork loin left over...maybe I'll try it with that instead. I will absolutely add the garlic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would work quite well with pork. Beef and chicken too for that matter.

      Delete
  2. I have only eaten lamb once. On a cruise. I didn't much care for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is definitely an acquired taste. Frank doesn't care for lamb either, and would never eat a lamb chop but he had two servings of the casserole.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.