Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Let's start with Leftovers

Today has been a weird, unfinished kind of day.  Originally I was supposed to go with Kim to run some errands, then she called this morning and told me she had forgotten it was potluck at the skating place that she goes to with her mom so we would get together tomorrow.

So I got the donations from yoga class together and went to the food pantry to stock them and take messages but when I got there they were waxing the floors of the school and we couldn't go in until tomorrow.  While I was on the way to the food pantry, Kim called and said that when they got to the skating rink their group had been displaced by a school outing so we decided to meet up for lunch.  Lunch, at least, was a success and we got in a nice visit and a minute to relax.

When lunch was over I went to see Mom but when I got there she was involved in a sing along. They had a guest guitarist and they were doing the hula....it was a hoot....I did not have my camera:(  Mom did not see me and I slipped away before she did because then she would feel like she needed to visit with me instead of hang out with "the gang".

When I got home, Ting showed up.  She was supposed to have a doctor appt. but when she got there the doctor had left to go deliver a baby.  She decided to take a nap and the minute she drowsed off the doctor's office called and told her the doctor had returned and she should come in.

Since today was such an "unfinished" kind of day I thought I would finish up some of the leftovers from the shower on Saturday.  And since it is Try it Tuesday I found a recipe on parade.com for using up some of the Italian Sausage.  But in the nature of the day....I barely followed the recipe at all, in the end the only thing that was the same was the potatoes and onions.  My creation turned out pretty well though so I will share it with you.



This came together quickly and did not take many ingredients.
I had my leftover Italian Sausage, already cooked, an onion, red potatoes, a can of Red Gold Tomatoes flavored with Basil, Garlic and Oregano and some fresh Basil for garnish.
I wanted to use one of the can's of tomatoes that I had won from Red Gold.
This dish was the perfect place to use these as the original recipe called for tomatoes, garlic, basil and rosemary.  I personally think oregano is a better choice for this dish than rosemary but to each their own.


First I sauteed the onion and potatoes in a little olive oil after seasoning them with salt and pepper.


While the potatoes and onions were cooking, I cut the Sausage into smaller pieces.
There was some onion and peppers still clinging to the Sausage so I just threw them in.


When the potatoes were tender and brown, I added the sausage.


And threw in the can of tomatoes.
I turned the heat down, covered the pan and let the flavors meld while I started on my vegetables.


I had a couple of ears of corn in the fridge.
I always end up with a few extra ears whenever I get corn.  A half dozen isn't enough and a dozen is too much LOL.  I had a piece of onion and a summer squash that was languishing in there so I grabbed those too.


I tossed all of this in a saute pan with some butter and kind of stir fried it.
Normally I include some jalapeno but I didn't have any today.


I plated the Skillet Sausage and Potatoes and garnished it with fresh basil. 


And served it up with the Corn and Summer Squash Saute.

Sausage and Potato Skillet

4 Italian Sausages, cooked and cut into 1-2" pieces
1 T. olive oil
4-6 red potatoes, diced
1/2 sweet onion, diced
salt and pepper 
1 (14.5 oz) can Red Gold tomatoes with basil, garlic and onion.
Basil for garnish

Heat olive oil in skillet over med high heat.  Add potatoes and onions. Season with salt and pepper and saute, stirring often for 10-15 minutes until onions are translucent and potatoes are browned. Add sausage pieces and tomatoes.  Stir to combine.  Cover and continue to cook until sausage is warmed through and the potatoes are tender, about another 10 minutes.  Print Recipe


Corn and Summer Squash Saute

Kernels from 2 ears of sweet corn
1/4 c. onion, finely diced
1 summer squash or zucchini
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
2 T. butter

Place all ingredients into a saute pan and cook over med high heat, stirring often until vegetables are tender, 10-15 minutes.  Print Recipe


2 comments:

  1. I made the sausage and potato recipe last night too! I didn't have any cherry tomatoes, so I used 2 T of tomato paste and 1/4 cup of ricotta. I had to run kids in the middle of prep, so I also added some chicken stock so it didn't dry out. I was excited to use the herbs from my garden. I made some cheesy garlic toast and we feasted! LOVED that it was all in one pan! That's a luxury AND I got the sausage on sale! I'm adding this to my easy weeknight recipe file. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.