Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Mexican Chicken Lasagna

I had some leftover chicken from the weekend that I needed to use and I was going to make chicken burritos but then I remembered this recipe and changed my mind.  This recipe was taken from Oxygen magazine, November 2009 issue and shared with me by my bootcamp instructor, Tina.

Yes, long ago I took bootcamp classes in between zumba and crossfit classes....long, long ago.  Oh and I ran too.  That seems like another lifetime to me now.  For my 50th birthday I trained for and ran a 5k.  Amy and I then ran a 5k each month for one full year.  Amy progressed to 10k's and half marathons, I stopped running, stopped going to classes and got fat.  I keep saying that one day I will get back on track and I do....for a week or two....and then I stop.....SIGH.

It is a high carb recipe, ideal for those days when you have worked out hard and need to recoup.  It is also delicious which is why I am making it because God knows, I haven't been working out LOL.  It is not low calorie but it is very healthy.  One serving (a fourth of the recipe) is 602 calories so if you are tracking calories you just want to have a side salad and water with it.  Or if you're not counting calories you can do like I am today and serving it with sour cream, chips and salsa and margaritas!!

It is easily put together and a great use of leftover chicken.  The original recipe calls for reduced fat cheese blend but, of course, I didn't have that on hand so I just used regular shredded mexican blend cheese but that was my only adaptation to the recipe.  I also drained and rinsed my beans even though the original recipe did not call for it.  I assume it was an oversight.  I also drained the corn and chiles but left the juice from the tomatoes.


This is an easy casserole for me because all of these items are staples in my pantry.
You sautee the onions in some olive oil, then add the other vegetables and seasoning.


Place an 8" tortilla in the bottom of an 8x8 baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.


Add 1/3 of the vegetable mixture.


Top with 1/3 of the chicken and 1/4 of the cheese.
Make 2 more layers.


Top these layers with the last tortilla and sprinkle with the last 1/4 c. of cheese.
Bake at 350* for 15-20 minutes.


Enjoy.
The calorie count given above is for 1/4 of this pan.
That is a huge amount.
This pan would easily feed 6 in our family.



Mexican Chicken Lasagna
adapted from Oxygen Magazine, November 2009

1 T. olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (7 oz) can green chiles, drained
1 (15 oz) can corn,drained
1 (15 oz) can of diced tomatoes
2 T. taco seasoning
Cooking spray (I use olive oil)
4 (8") whole wheat tortillas
1 1/2 lb. chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 c. shredded mexican blend cheese (reduced fat, if tracking calories)

Saute onions in oil in large skillet over med heat until softened.  Add beans, chiles, corn, tomatoes and seasoning.  Stir to combine and cook until bubbly.

Spray an 8"x8" baking pan with cooking spray.  Place one tortilla on the bottom.  Top with a 1/3 of vegetable mixture.  Add 1/3 chicken and 1/4 of the cheese.  Continue making layers sprinkling last 1/4 of the cheese over the last tortilla after it is placed on top.

Bake at 350* for 15-20 minutes until heated through and cheese is melted.  Print Recipe

Linking up with Wednesday Whatsits, join us and see what else is happening in blogland.

1 comment:

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.