Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Midweek Merriment...

This is a fast week!!  We didn't get home until late Monday, we went out to a birthday party yesterday, Thursday we are helping Ting and Tony move and Friday is Independence Day....that leaves today!!!

I went to the food pantry this morning and checked the larder, finding it bare, so off to the grocery store I went.  Just as I was finishing up with those chores Frank called and asked if I would like to meet him for lunch before his afternoon meeting.  It was a tough decision but I decided I could make time for him LOL.

I did not make it over to see Mom today but Dick and Jackie were stopping by so I am not too concerned.  When I stopped in to see her yesterday she was happy as a lark.  They were having a sing along.  I sat with her and we sang songs and played tambourines.  When it was time for her to have lunch I told her I was leaving so she could eat.  She kissed me goodbye and not a word was said about her going with me or my not leaving.  My heart was singing when I left.  I was concerned because I was seeing her every day and then was gone for the cruise but I should not have been worried because Mom has no concept of time any longer.

The Bendas are joining us for dinner this evening.  I am still serving the meal I had planned on the Weekly Menu but adding a couple of things to make it company worthy.

The Bendas are Scotch drinkers so the Whiskey Compound Butter recipe that I am adapting from Girlichef is perfect.  I am serving baked Russets and Sweet Potatoes and I am substituting Broccoli for the Asparagus because it is in my fridge.  I have added Crab Dip to serve with drinks as we are waiting for our steaks to grill and a Salad to enjoy while the steaks are resting and I will serve sauteed onions and mushrooms along with the steak.

I pulled 6 steaks out of the freezer, a mixture of Porterhouse and T-Bones.  I normally season my steaks with Montreal Steak Seasoning but today I only seasoned them with salt and pepper and I added the Montreal Steak Seasoning to my compound butter.

Linda is bringing dessert.  I think it will be a wonderful night.  I have included some recipes below for your dining enjoyment.  Happy Humpday!!!!


Mix together all ingredients for Compound Butter.
I used a food processor.


Place on plastic wrap and shape into a log.
Refrigerate until needed.


Grill steaks to desired temperature.
Place a pat of Compound Butter on each and let rest for 10 minutes.




Compound Butter for Grilled Steaks
adapted from Girlichef.

1 stick butter at room temperature
1 clove garlic, minced
1 T. chopped chives
1 T. Montreal Steak Seasoning
1 shot Scotch Whiskey
1 T. chopped parsley

Mix together all ingredients until well combined.  Place in the center of a piece of plastic wrap and form into a log by rolling the plastic wrap around it and twisting the ends.  Refrigerate until firm. Place one slice of butter atop each steak before serving.  Print Recipe


Roasted Broccoli with Toasted Pine Nuts


Roasted Broccoli with Toasted Pine Nuts

Broccoli Crowns from 1 large head
1 T. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 c. pine nuts
2 t. butter at room temperature

Toss the Broccoli Crowns with olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.  Place in a vegetable rack and grill over high heat with the lid closed for 10-12 minutes or until tender, tossing occasionally.  While Broccoli is roasting, place pine nuts in a dry saute pan an toast over med high heat until toasted and fragrant, stirring constantly to prevent burning.  Remove from heat and set aside.  When Broccoli is roasted toss with softened butter until coated and butter is melted.  Add the pine nuts, toss to mix and serve immediately.  Print Recipe

We are Thriving at Home. Stop by Gospel Homemaking and tell us how you Thrive at Home.

4 comments:

  1. Dearest Cousin Wendy.... So happy you are finding comfort in your mom's situation. God Bless! R...........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rita, So far so good, Of course, tomorrow is another day LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness I am salivating for one of those steaks

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.