Sunday, July 6, 2014

Stunning Sunday....

Wow...this has been the most perfect weekend weather wise.  It was in the 80's with tons of sunshine but I was able to leave my windows and doors open because there was no humidity and a beautiful breeze.

We slept in this morning until nearly 9:30 am.  We had, of course, gotten up with the dogs at 6 am but then went back to sleep....it was wonderful.  On the way to Mass we stopped and dropped off numerous bags of items at Goodwill that we had removed from Ting's and Mom's rooms as we were prepping them for their makeovers.

After Mass, our friend, Catherine, stopped by to pick up some things she is borrowing for her son's graduation party.  Unfortunately we are going to miss the party because we will be up north on the family canoe trip.

Then I ran up to see Mom for a while.  We played a few hands of cards and when I left she had joined "the gang" as she calls them and they were making s'mores with the activity director.

Kirsten and a friend, Karen, whom I met through her, joined us for dinner tonight.  John is out of town at a shooting competition.  Kirsten, Karen and I lounged around in the pool for a while, visiting and laughing...I think the phrase "What a perfect day" was repeated at least 5 times LOL.  Frank was upstairs slaving away on the small bedroom that we are turning into the baby's nursery.  I didn't think to take any before photos but I will show you the finished project when it is completed.  I LOVE the color of paint I chose for the room.

Karen is going to be staying and taking care of the dogs while we are on our canoe trip.  Ting was willing to come and stay for the weekend but I know when I got my own place the last thing I would have wanted to do is go back the following weekend to dog sit when I really just wanted to get settled into my new digs. Karen is out of work right now and could really use some extra money so this works out well for everyone involved.

Frank took a break when it was time for dinner.  I can't tell you about our entree because it is part of my SRC assignment and reveal day is not until the end of the month but let me just say IT WAS DELICIOUS and you are definitely going to want to check back for the recipe.

Now Frank is back upstairs finishing up the painting and I am downstairs playing here on the computer.  In my defense, I did ask him if he wanted help and he was very adamant that he did not.  I find that we get along much better if I am not in the same room with him when he is working on a project.  For some reason, he does not like me offering (what I believe is) very good and practical advice on how he should do things LOL.

I served the entree with Rice Mingle Salad and, having gotten a beautiful head of Napa Cabbage yesterday from the CSA, I also made a Chinese Cabbage Salad that turned out quite tasty.  I am including the recipe that I found in a cookbook called From Asparagus to Zucchini.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.




Chinese Cabbage Salad
adapted from Dog Hollow Farm

1 head Chinese Cabbage (also known as Napa Cabbage), chopped
2 red radishes, halved and thinly sliced
1 (2 oz) can of crunchy chow mein noodles
1 c. peanuts, crushed
1/4 c. black sesame seeds
2 T. rice wine vinegar
4 T. dark sesame oil
2 T. lite soy sauce
1 T. honey

Combine cabbage, radishes, chow mein noodles, peanuts and sesame seeds in a large bowl.  Whisk together remaining ingredients, pour over cabbage mixture and toss well.  Print Recipe


5 comments:

  1. Salad looks good. Richard and I were always the same way about projects. He didn't want me around offering my advice and now my son is the same. So doesn't bother me to go away and let them do it.....as long as they do it how I want it done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick and I can paint together, but he HATES it when I stand around while he's fixing the car (usually mine) offering my 'tips' about twisting this thingy or what if you wiggle that do-hicky. I think I'm being supportive. He thinks I am evil incarnate. Tomato, To-mah-to! Can't wait to see the nursery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it must be universal....I cannot understand why they get upset when we are only trying to be helpful LOL>

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.