Friday, May 8, 2015

Citrus and Cilantro Carrot Slaw for #BrunchWeek 2015

BrunchWeek 2015 LogoOne of my favorite spots when I am at a Brunch Buffet is the salad bar.  They are normally chock full of the freshest, loveliest vegetable dishes that they have to offer.  The cooked veggies are sometimes in creamy sauces or covered in butter and cheese and heavier than what I like early in the day. Not that I don't love them at dinner time, it's just that I think Brunch is better suited for salads or lightly cooked veggies.

Welcome to the third annual #BrunchWeek hosted by Terri from Love and Confections and Shaina from Take A Bite Out Of Boca. We are so excited to have you join us this year! Celebrate Brunch with us this week as we prepare for Mother's Day. 30 Bloggers from around the country will showcase their best brunch dishes, from cocktails to casseroles, breakfast breads, sandwiches and salads - there is something for everyone!  Please make sure you check out the giveaway from our generous sponsors.  I have never been involved in an event with such great prizes!!

One of our sponsors, Grimway Farms, sent us a ton of beautiful organic veggies and smoothies.  In this package was a bag of shredded carrots in yellow, orange and purple.  Just Gorgeous!!!  I used some of them in a Rice Pilaf and saved the rest to make a slaw.  I wanted a lightly dressed slaw, nothing heavy or creamy.  I had an orange and a lemon in the fridge so I pulled those out.  Then, when I went into the cupboard for the olive oil, I spied some Cilantro Oil, that I had recieved during a past event.  Perfect!!!  My recipe was coming together.

When I pulled the carrots out of the crisper, I grabbed two scallions that were sitting there lonely. Then I went into the cupboard to get the raisins and sitting there next to them was a bag of dried cherries and berries.  That sounded much better to me than raisins so I grabbed them instead.


Before you knew it, I had this colorful and healthy salad to add to the brunch table and that would also be perfect for a summer picnic.

Citrus and Cilantro Carrot Slaw

2 c. shredded carrots ( I used Cal-Organic)
1/4 c. dried fruit (I used a berry mixture)
2 scallions, white and light green parts, finely sliced
zest and juice from 1/2 of a lemon
zest and juice from 1/2 of an orange
1 t. honey
1 T. Cilantro infused oil 
salt and pepper to taste

Place carrots, fruit, scallions and zests into a bowl.  Combine juices, honey, salt, pepper and oil in a small jar with a lid and shake to blend.  Pour over carrot mixture and toss to coat.  Chill for at least an hour before serving to allow flavors to blend.  Print Recipe

Disclaimer: Thank you to #BrunchWeek Sponsors: Bob’s Red Mill, Cabot Creamery Cooperative, California Walnuts, Dixie Crystals, Grimmway Farms/Cal-Organic/True Juice, KitchenAid, Le Creuset, Nielsen-Massey Vanillas, Pacari Chocolate, Stonyfield Organic, Vidalia Onions, and Woot Froot for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #BrunchWeek. All opinions are my own.

Take a look at what the #BrunchWeek Bloggers made today!

BrunchWeek Beverages:
Mango Swirled Coconut Margarita from The Little Ferraro Kitchen.
Bruleed Grapefruit Mojito from Healthy Delicious.
Strawberry Orange Blossom Sparkler from Baking a Moment.

BrunchWeek Egg Dishes:
Bacon and Egg Sandwiches on Cheddar Biscuits from Sew You Think You Can Cook.

BrunchWeek Breads, Grains and Pastries:
Lemon Blueberry Crepes from Love and Confections.
Java Jolt Overnight Oats from Take A Bite Out Of Boca.
Hagelslag-Covered Bread from Culinary Adventures with Camilla.
Nutella Stuffed Aebleskiver from greens & chocolate.
Baked French Toast Boats from The Spiffy Cookie.
Skinny Banana Oat Flaxseed Cookies from Hip Foodie Mom.
Cinnamon Sugar French Toast Sticks from Making Miracles.
Cheddar Pear Proscuitto Pull-Apart Bread from It Bakes Me Happy.
Alpine Cheese Grisini from Jane's Adventures in Dinner.

BrunchWeek Main Dishes:
Bacon Cheddar Hashbrown Pancake from Pink Cake Plate.
Huevos Rancheros Burgers from The Redhead Baker.

BrunchWeek Fruits, Vegetables and Sides:
Fresh Mint and Orange Blossom Fruit Salad from Sarcastic Cooking.
Citrus and Cilantro Carrot Slaw from A Day in the Life on the Farm

BrunchWeek Desserts:
Mini Apple Pear Pies from Quarter Life (Crisis) Cuisine.
Strawberry Cake from Chelsea's Messy Apron.
Chocolate Chip Walnut Coffee Cake from girlichef.
Raspberry Oatmeal Bars from My Catholic Kitchen.

8 comments:

  1. Yumm Wendy! That sounds so fresh and vibrant - perfect addition to any brunch table or picnic lunch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! This looks lovely...and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this sounds delicious. I'm such a sucker for rainbow carrots in any form, but the citrus and cilantro make this a must-try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely punch of tartness to cut through the richness that is usually brunch.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.