Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Celebrating Jams and Jellies with #handcraftededibles

Each Tuesday for the last month or so a few of us have been sharing ideas for Hand Crafted Edibles to gift during the Holidays.

This month we are sharing recipes for jams and jellies that make for perfect gifts.  You could nestle a jar into a basket full of homemade muffins or biscuits, wrap it up in a tea towel and watch the excitement on the recipients face when he/she opens it to find such a loving and heartfelt handmade gift.  It is much better to give than receive, I think.

Today I am sharing with you an easy peasy recipe for Jalapeno Jelly.  My friend, Kim, gives me this jelly every year and I love getting it so much that this year I am giving some out to my friends.


I remove most of the seeds and membrane.
Leave in more or less as your heat index requires.


Then the food processor does all the hard work.
Puree the peppers with 1 c apple cider vinegar.
Place it in a large pot with another cup of cider vinegar and 6 cups of sugar.
Bring to a boil.
Cook, stirring often for 10 minutes.
Add the pectin, boil and stir for 1 minutes stirring constantly.
Stir in food coloring, if desired.
You are now ready to place in jars and process.


You will get 5-6 1/2 pint jars .
I got 2 pint jars and 2 1/2 pint jars.

Jalapeno Jelly
adapted from Ball Canning Company

10-12 Jalapeno peppers, seeded and membranes removed
2 cup cider vinegar, divided
6 c. sugar
2 (3 oz) pouches liquid pectin
Green food coloring, if desired

Prepare a boiling water canner.  Sterilize jars and lids of jars being used.  Keep warm in simmering water or under a heat lamp.

Puree the peppers with 1 cup of the cider in a food processor until smooth.  Transfer to a large pot. Add the remaining vinegar and sugar.  Bring to a boil and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes.  Add the liquid pectin and continue to boil, stirring constantly for 1 minutes. Remove from heat.  Stir in food coloring if using. Skim foam if necessary.

Ladle hot jelly into hot jars. leaving 1/4" headspace. Seal with lids and rims.  Process in water bath for 10 minutes.  Print Recipe\



In an effort to make all of her holiday gifts this year, Camilla at Culinary Adventures with Camilla invited some of her favorite foodie bloggers to share recipes for hand-crafted edibles. Over the course of twelve weeks, we'll be sharing recipes for all your homemade holiday gifts. Hope you'll follow along for inspiration. You can find out more information, including the schedule: here.

This week, we're sharing recipes for delicious jams and jellies.

Thanks to these inspiring gals for these jam and jelly treats:
Next week, check back for our recipes for pickles. Or check out our #handcraftededibles pinterest board.



9 comments:

  1. Thanks, Wendy. I wasn't brave enough to do a straight jalapeno jelly. I will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's delicious Cam. I made a peach jalapeno jam earlier in the season.

      Delete
  2. So tell me how you use this kind of jelly? On toast - on sandwiches? I love the idea / flavor of jalepenos and this is perfect to make at home so you can adjust the heat level yourself. I'm such a spice wimp!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be posting a recipe in a couple of weeks for how I like to use it but it is good on toast or I like putting it on cornbread. It can also be stirred into sauces for a sweet spicy kick. BBQ sauce especially.

      Delete
  3. Jalapeno jelly is definitely one of those things that we've been wanting to try, and I know my parents and husband would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope this recipe is more to your liking Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet the sweet & spicy combo is great! I haven't been brave enough to try this yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure the first time I was given a jar either Amy, but now it is one of our favorites.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.