Monday, November 23, 2015

Delicious, Savory Crepes for Secret Recipe Club

It is time for Secret Recipe Club and this month I got to explore Tara's Multicultural Table.  As the name implies this blog is owned by Tara, wife and mother of two adorable children.  Tara was born in Japan and spent her toddler years in Germany before moving to the USA.  She was lucky enough to travel extensively and has learned to love the food of other cultures. Fortunately for the readers of her incredible blog, Tara has decided to share this love with us in the form of tried and true recipes. You just have to check out her recipe page, you are going to be awestruck.


Regular readers of my blog know all about Secret Recipe Club but if you are a new visitor here and not a regular visitor of one of the over 100 members of our club you can find out all about SRC by clicking on this link.

Now that you are back from checking out Tara's recipe page, didn't you just love how your first choice is to check out her recipes by Continent?  Who does that??  Tara, that's who!  Then when you open a Continent, you are shown subsets by Countries of that Continent.  I told you it was awesome. Don't feel like browsing by Continent or Country?  Just scroll on down where you will find the recipes sorted by categories.  Tara certainly aims to please.

On the day I was cooking from Tara's blog I was looking specifically for a pork recipe.  There were tons but I narrowed it down to Chinese Style Pork Adobo, Australian Sausage Rolls, Pork Fillets in Mushroom Cream Sauce, Hungarian Crepes, South African Spiced Meat Casserole (substituting pork for beef) and  Pork Enchiladas.  As you probably have figured out, I went with the Hungarian Crepes.



Tara's recipe said you could use any meat that you chose.
I had some pork stew pulled from the freezer so I ground it using my kitchen aid attachment but you can use any ground meat that you like.
Because I used pork, I lowered the amount of oil to 2T, if using a less fatty meat use 1/4 cup.


The crepes were tender and delicious.
Slightly thicker than a French Crepe so able to withstand the hearty filling.
The spices were perfect and I was worried about the amount of sour cream but it blended so nicely and as you can see it wasn't too much because I added more to my serving.

Hungarian Stuffed Crepes
adapted from Tara's Multi-Cultural Kitchen

Filling:
2 T. olive oil
1/2 c. diced onions
1 lb ground meat (I used pork)
1 (12 oz) can diced tomatoes with juices
1 c. water
4 t. paprika
1/4 t. caraway seeds
2 T. fresh chopped parsley (I used Gourmet Garden)
1/2 c. sour cream
Salt and Pepper to taste

Crepes:
4 eggs
1 c. flour
1 c. milk

Sauce:
Drained liquid from meat filling
1/4 c. flour
1 c. sour cream

Heat olive oil in large skillet over med heat.  Add the onions and cook until softened and fragrant. Add the meat, stirring and breaking it up into small pieces as it browns. Stir in tomatoes and their juices and the water along with the paprika, caraway seeds and parsley. Bring to a slow boil and let cook, stirring occasionally until sauce thickens.  Stir in the half cup of sour cream.  Pour meat and sauce into a fine mesh strainer set over a medium bowl to catch the liquids. Return the meat mixture to the pan and set aside to cool. 

While the meat mixture is cooking, place the crepe ingredients into a blender and pulse until smooth. 
Heat a crepe pan or skillet over med low heat.  Spray with cooking oil.  Pour a scant 1/4 c. of batter into the skillet and swirl to coat the bottom.  Let cook until side start to curl away from the pan and the bottom is golden brown.  Remove from skillet to a plate and repeat with remaining batter placing a sheet of parchment or paper towel between the cooked crepes.
Whisk together the flour and the sour cream for the sauce.  Add it to the drained liquid whisking until smooth.  Set aside.
To assemble prepare a 9x13 baking pan by spraying with cooking spray.  Place each crepe, one at a time, cooked side down on your work surface.  Place a layer of meat over the bottom third of the crepe leaving a 1" border from the edge.  Fold over the end and sides, then roll up and place seam side down in the baking pan.  Pour the sauce over the assembled crepes and bake in a preheated 350* for 20-30 minutes, until heated through and the sauce is bubbly. Print Recipe

Check out what the rest of the Secret Recipe Club is revealing



15 comments:

  1. This sounds like such a delicious meal - what a wonderful combination of flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is a delicious take on crepes! I haven't made them in years, in fact I don't think I even have crepes in my blog, which means that I must correct this handicap!

    ;-)

    Have a great Reveal Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a savoury lover more than a sweet lover, I LOVE the look of these tasty savoury crepes! A FAB pick for SRC this month! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Tara's blog! I have yet to make crepes. Can you believe that? Those look incredibly tasty. Love the flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crazy! I never would have thought to make crepes like this! Almost like a Hungarian enchilada! These look so good though! Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look fabulous! I love crepes and these look super hearty. My husband would love all of that meat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never tried a savory crepe before but I think I would like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would too Erin and if you like seafood check out my recipe for shrimp and asparagus crepes.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.