Friday, November 27, 2015

The Girl on the Train and Pork Lentil Soup

Last weekend, before things got absolutely crazy around here, I finished The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.  I have never read this author before and even though this book made the best seller list, I had not heard of it until my friend,Tami, recommended it.

Image result for the girl on the train

I am very glad she recommended it and even happier I listened.  This is a novel about 3 women and how their lives intertwine and are affected by relationships in their lives.  It is told in first person by each of the 3 women.  It is often compared to Gone Girl, a book that I loved even though I disliked every character in it.  I can see how it is similar inasmuch as it is written from several points of view and the characters are not very likable but I thought they were still more likable than Gone Girl.  It is the story of manipulation and low self esteem and how women, so often, think they need a man or a relationship to define them.


A couple of days ago, I shared with you a new recipe that I made for Hungarian Pancakes.  The stew called for cubed pork so I had pulled some chops from the freezer, trimmed them and cut them from the bone.  I then put the trimmings, bones, and vegetable trimmings from the stew into a stock pot. Added some seasonings and made pork stock.  I strained the broth, cut the meat from the bones and started thinking about what I wanted to make with it.  I had some red lentil in the cupboard left from when I had made Misr Wat from the Marcus Sammuelson autobiography, Yes Chef, and decided to make a Pork and Lentil soup.

Pork and Lentil Soup
adapted from Epicurious

1/2 large sweet onion, chopped
1 T. olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 t. cumin
1 bay leaf
1 t. dried thyme
1 c. red lentils
8 c. pork stock
3/4 c. pork in bite size pieces
salt and pepper to taste

Cook onion in oil with salt and pepper in a large soup pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally until softened, about 10 minutes.  Add garlic, cumin, bay leaf, thyme and cook 1 minute more.  Add lentils and broth, bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer partially covered until lentils are very soft and falling apart, 30-45 minutes.  Discard the bay leaf and partially puree the soup using an immersion blender.  Add the meat and allow to heat through before serving.  Print Recipe

4 comments:

  1. I have this book but haven't started to read it yet! Hoping I have some time over the holidays to do so... I felt the same way about Gone Girl -- loved the book, hated everyone in it. Hah!

    I suspect I will be trying this soup over the chilly winter month's. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Olivia,, these characters aren't quite as bad but pretty near.

      Delete
  2. I had to go back and see what the book was about before I could even remember if I had read it. I didn't find it to be the fantastic book that so many were talking about but it was a book I did enjoy reading. Your soup sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Paula. No I wouldn't give it 5 stars but I would give it 4.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.