Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Zupa Orgokowa for #FoodieExtravaganza

Did you know that we celebrate the pickle during the month of November?  You didn't?  Well, imagine that.  Not only do we celebrate the pickle it has it's very own day assigned to it, November 14th to be exact.  Stick with me kid, I'll teach you all kinds of things you had no idea you needed to know.  Not only that but, being the kind and benevolent person that I am, I am going to share a wonderful group with you today so that you have a full conglomeration of pickle recipes with which to celebrate next Saturday.  You are so welcome.

Actually though you should be thanking my friend, Cam of Culinary Adventures with Camilla, who is hosting this Extravaganza today and got us into this pickle to begin with!

In August I shared with you my Dill Pickles that I canned and then a couple of weeks later the Hamburger Dill Chips that I made and canned.  I wanted to use some of these for Cam's challenge this month and decided to share with you an old Polish Recipe for Zupa Orgokowa, Dill Pickle Soup in English.  Wait!  Before you turn up your nose and click out of my post stop and think about how many great foods were created and brought here by European immigrants that all sound strange until you try them and then you find out they are really delicious.



Okay, are you calmed down now?  Are you all done getting yourself all in a pickle just because you are being faced with something of which you are not familiar?  Good, then let's continue on and if, when you are done reading this, you still don't want to make my pickle soup then scroll down and see what the others have made for you to enjoy today.  But trust me when I say, if I didn't tell you the name of the soup, you would try it and you would LOVE it.



Zupa Orgokowa (Dill Pickle Soup)

1 pint hamburger dill chips, drained or 4 large dill pickles, thinly sliced
4 potatoes, peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
5 c. chicken broth
1 c. half and half
2 T. flour
2 T. butter, room temperature
1 egg

Place the pickles, potatoes and broth in a large pot and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are very tender.  Using an immersion blender (or food processor) puree the pickles and potatoes.  If using a food processor, return pureed broth to pot.  Whisk together the cream and flour.  Bring the broth back to a boil and add the cream and flour stirring until incorporated and starting to thicken.  Remove from heat. Using a fork, beat together the butter and egg.  Add a little of the thickened broth to the egg and butter to temper it, then whisk the tempered butter and egg into the broth in the pot.  Reheat if needed without bringing it to a boil.  Print Recipe

Let's see what other pickle recipes we have!

Foodie Extravaganza is where we celebrate obscure food holidays or cook and bake together with the same ingredient or theme each month. This month - I am hosting - I invited bloggers to come up with pickles since National Pickle Day is November 14th.

We hope you all enjoy our delicious pickled creations this month and come back to see what we bring for you next month.

Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you! If you're a spectator looking for delicious tid-bits check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board! Looking for our previous parties? Check them out HERE.


13 comments:

  1. Being a huge soup and pickle fan, I must try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting, Wendy! I wasn't sure when I read your title but now I can see how the pickles would brighten up the potato soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pickle soup is a new one for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is much like a potato soup if you like that. The pickle flavor is very subtle.

      Delete
  4. Great post, Wendy! I've not heard of pickle soup, I'll have to see if my mom's ever had it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your soup looks great and I bet it tastes wonderful. All the ingredients sound like they work great together, plus, it's pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your soup looks perfectly delicious! I was just thinking the other day of making potato soup, and I keep looking at this huge jar of pickles in my fridge, that I need to finish off, to make room for the Holidays, and we love pickles and soup! I imagine the pickle taste really, takes the taste of the soup up a notch, honestly I think of potato soup as pasty, unless you doctor it up with bacon, or cheese, even pickles!!! =) Thanks for sharing, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to come find it! This looks delicious too, I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.