Sunday, June 19, 2016

Strawberry Jello Angel Food Cake #SundaySupper

Colleen of The Redhead Baker invited us all to take a trip down memory lane this week as we waxed nostalgic remembering the summers of our childhood and the food memories it provokes.

I am the 5th of 6 children born to my mother.  The eldest in my family is 17 yrs my senior and the youngest was born 6 years after I.  It is funny when you have an age span of 24 yrs between siblings, how their memories differ.  My brothers recall my mother toiling in the kitchen, canning, making homemade breads and pastries, cooking a lot of one pot meals that could stretch a little meat to feed 4 growing boys and hard working husband.

My mother was 38 when I was born.  Still a very young woman but at that point had been married for 21 yrs and was getting tired.  I was born in 1958, the beginning to the processed food era that released women from slaving away in the kitchen.  My mother was happy to throw off the apron.  My memories of childhood were frequent frozen entrees, casseroles made with condensed soups and packaged desserts.  But sometimes, Mom would still bake pies using the bounty from our fruit trees, or make a dessert using store bought ingredients like this cake that I am sharing with you today.


My mother made this cake often.  She also made another version of this cake that was made in a Tupperware bowl that was very good as well but I don't have that Tupperware bowl so I made this version instead. 

When you make this cake you will see immediately why our Moms were so enamored with it.  It takes less than a half an hour to put together, it is visually stunning and it tastes awesome!!


You start with a store bought Angel Food Cake.  Cut off the top and hollow out the center.  Eat the cake you removed to keep your strength up.  This is a lot of hard work!


Make up a box of strawberry gelatin, using the fast set method of adding ice instead of cold water.  Divide the gelatin into 2 portions.  One goes into the refrigerator as is.  The second portion gets whisked into a container of Cool Whip and then goes into the refrigerator.  Wipe the sweat from your brow, grab a cold glass of water and catch your breath for 15 minutes.  After 15 minutes, slice up strawberries to make 2/3 cup.


Mix the cut strawberries into the plain gelatin and spoon into the hollowed out cake. Return the top of the cake to it's rightful position.


Remove the Cool Whip mixture from the refrigerator and plop it onto frost the cake.  Garnish with additional strawberries.  It is now ready to present and serve.  Go stand in front of the stove for a minute or two, until you are flushed and sweaty.  Carry the cake platter out to your guests, put it down and smile as you wearily wipe the sweat from your brow. 


Enjoy the accolades along with the cake and never, ever tell anyone how simple this dessert is to make.  Let them be in awe of your untiring hard work every day in the kitchen.  It worked for our Moms, it can work for us too!!!

Happy Sunday Everyone.  Let's take a look at the memories being shared by the rest of the #SundaySupper family.

Please join me as we step back in time!!


Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.

19 comments:

  1. i dont remember this cake at all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because by the time you came around Mom had moved on to the one in the tupperware bowl. Angel food cake, strawberries and jello but no frosting just a dollop of cool whip on each slice.

      Delete
  2. This is another recipe that reminds me of my grandmother. Good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake looks delicious! I have one sister who is 4 years younger than me. I can't imagine have siblings 17 years older than me. I really enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made a similar cake made with chocolate mousse! I think your strawberry version trumps that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe for summer but chocolate mousse would be perfect during the winter months. I will have to try it.

      Delete
  5. Tee hee =) Love this kind of intensive labor recipe =) Seriously, Wendy, I'm all for fast, easy and beautiful desserts. Thank you for the how-to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Granddaughter loves strawberries and this is the perfect dessert for her. Thanks for the recipe - this could be the start of another family tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Granddaughter loves strawberries and this is the perfect dessert for her. Thanks for the recipe - this could be the start of another family tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a great cake. My mom made the Jello Poke cake alot! Love these posts about your childhood memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, my mom made the poke cake too. It's fun recalling the happy times.

      Delete
  9. I remember a version of this cake. Thanks so much for taking me down memory lane, too!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.