Thursday, July 21, 2016

Peaches and Cream Cake for Improv Cooking Challenge

Yes, okay?  Yes.  I did join another cooking club.  Don't judge me!


Hello, my name is Wendy, and I am addicted to cooking challenges.  It all started with one little group called The Secret Recipe Club and has expanded to include a dozen more groups and 6 or 7 events each year.  I was quickly hooked and now I can't seem to get enough of these fun and friendly little clubs.  When my friend Nichole of Cookaholic Wife asked me to join her at The Improv Cooking Challenge, I just had no willpower to say no.  

This group is much like my Crazy Ingredient Challenge group that I posted about just yesterday.  In fact, one of the ingredients from that group and this group are the same this month!!  Good thing we like peaches around here!


Yesterday's challenge had me pair up the peaches with corn.  Today's challenge isn't quite so challenging.  Our pairing today is Peaches and Cream.  I thought about just buying some peaches and cream corn from the farm stand and calling it a day for both groups but thought the administrator's wouldn't like my sense of humor.


So instead I peeled and sliced up a half dozen for today's recipe.  Sprinkled them with some lemon and a bit of sugar to help the juices flow since the recipe I was adapting had called for canned juices in syrup.


The recipe, found on Allrecipes.com and submitted by Debbi Borsick, also called to make this in a pie pan and called it Award Winning Peaches and Cream Pie.  I made it in an 8x11" baking pan.  I followed the recipe as written for the batter and the topping, and I can see why it has won awards.


Other than the shape, I have no idea why it would have been called a pie.  The bottom layer is cake like and the top layer is remeniscent of cheesecake.  Perhaps, it is because of the peach layer.


You can call it a pie as Debbi did or call it a cake as I am but whatever you call it, your family and guests will call it Awesome, Fantastic, To Die For, Great, Yummy, etc..etc..etc..

Peaches and Cream Cake
adapted from Allrecipes.com, submitted by Debbi Borsick

6 peaches
Juice from 1/4 of a lemon
2 t. sugar
3/4 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1 t. baking powder
1 (3 oz) package vanilla cook and serve pudding mix
3 T. butter, room temperature
1 egg
1/2 c. milk
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 c. sugar
1 T. sugar
1 t. cinnamon

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Score the peaches with an X on the stem side and place in the boiling water for a few minutes to loosen peel.  Remove from boiling water and immediately plunge into an ice bath.  The skins should slip right off of the peaches. Cut them in half, remove the pit and slice.  Place into a med bowl and toss with the lemon and 2 t. of sugar.  Allow to set for a half hour or longer.  Drain the peaches, reserving any accumulated juice.

In the large bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together the flour, pudding, salt and baking powder.  Add the butter, egg and milk.  Beat at low speed until combined, increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes.  Pour into an 8x11" baking pan, that has been treated with baking spray, and arrange the peaches over the batter.

In the small bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the cream cheese until fluffy.  Add the 1/2 c. sugar and 3 T. of the reserved peach juice.  Beat for 2 minutes.  Dollop over the top of the peaches leaving 1" border from the sides.  Combine the tablespoon of sugar with the teaspoon of cinnamon and sprinkle over all.  Place in a preheated 350* oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, until puffed and golden brown.  Chill before serving.  Print Recipe


Let's take a look at the rest of the offerings





15 comments:

  1. Yum! I'd love some of that now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness, Wendy! That slice of cake with the cream pouring out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I'd like to share it with you Nichole. Thanks for hosting this month.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, that looks amazing! Thanks for joining the Improv Challenge; glad to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks awesome! I would live a piece right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're doing okay Wendy. The first rule is to admit you have a problem. Seriously, I'm just envious that I can't join more challenges. Keep going . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Bee but sometimes I feel like I cut myself too thin.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.