Over the years I have shared many St. Pat's inspired recipes. Corned Beef and Cabbage, of course, but also Baked Potato Soup, Individual Shamrock Cheesecakes, Irish Cream Cheesecake, Irish Root Soup, Beef and Red Ale Pie and a Cheddar Ale Cheese Spread to name a few.
Corned Beef and Cabbage is a given, every single year so I am sharing a recipe that you can use with leftovers if you have any or enjoy any time of the year using deli corned beef. I was going to name this post Mexico meets Ireland but for Lent this year, I decided to restart the Fast Metabolism Diet so I adapted my Quesadillas to fit into this eating plan.
Since I was feeding my husband the recipe does include swiss cheese, which is not allowed on FMD. Should you want to stay strictly on the eating plan you will omit the cheese completely. You can include the apple in Phase 1 but omit it in Phase 3. You can use the sauce in Phase 3 but omit it in Phase 1. Got all that? Don't worry, I will reiterate in the written recipe.
To make the sauce Phase 3 Friendly, I used mayo made with Avocado Oil and a hot sauce made with fruits and veggies with no added sugars or oil.
While bread is allowed on the Fast Metabolism Diet, it is required to be made with whole grains. Using these Sprouted Grain Tortillas make the dish both Phase 1 and Phase 3 Friendly.
Place your sauerkraut, apple (for Phase 1) and cheese (if using) on one half of the tortilla. Top with nitrate free, thinly sliced corned beef.
Fold the tortilla in half over the filling and cook for about 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown and warmed through.
Cut the Quesadillas into thirds and serve with the sauce on the side I had used part of an apple for in the quesadilla and cut up the remainder to enjoy with our sandwiches.
Make sure you scroll down past the recipe to find tons of St. Patrick's Day inspired recipes. I will leave you with this Irish Blessing found during a google search:
Reuben Quesadillas (FMD Friendly)
1/4 c. avocado oil or safflower oil mayonnaise
1 T. veracha sauce (sugar free/corn syrup free)
1 scallion, white and light green, minced
1/2 T. sweet relish
2 t. apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1 c. shredded swiss cheese (omit if FMD)
1/3 c. sauerkraut mixed with 1/4 c. shredded apple (Phase 1)
or 1/2 c. sauerkraut (Phase 3)
4-6 oz. nitrate free, thinly sliced corned beef
2 sprouted grain tortillas
Combine the mayonnaise, veracha, scallion, relish, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
Lightly rinse the sauerkraut and squeeze dry, mix together with apple if using.
Place one tortilla onto a hot griddle. Sprinkle one half of the tortilla with half the cheese (if using), half the sauerkraut, and half the corned beef. Fold the tortilla in half over the filling and allow to cook for 5-6 minutes. Flip over and cook other side 5 minutes or until golden and warmed through. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make a second Quesadilla. Print Recipe
More St. Patrick's Day Recipes
- Beef and Stout Stew from Caroline's Cooking
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Irish Cream Frosting from Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Chocolate Stout Floats from The Chef Next Door
- Easy 5 Ingredient Chocolate Mint Cookies from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Grilled Cabbage Steaks from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Irish Tea Brack from Cooking With Carlee
- Lucky Leprechaun Minty Milkshakes from Family Around the Table
- Nana's Shepherd's Pie from The Tip Garden
- Reuben Quesadillas from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Reuben Stuffed Crescent Rolls from From Gate to Plate
- Slow Cooker Guinness Pot Roast from Amy's Cooking Adventures
- St. Patrick's Day Green Martini - Melontini from All That's Jas
- Stout Cupcakes with Irish Buttercream from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Ulster Fry from Palatable Pastime