Thursday, March 23, 2017

Murder on the Ballarat Train; A Phrynie Fisher Mystery (Book Review)


Image result for murder on the ballarat trainThis is the 3rd book in a series by Kerry Greenwood starring Phrynie Fisher as an Australian rags to riches success story who finds herself working as a detective.  It takes place during the 1920's and it is a fun little series.  Perfect when you just want to relax and spend an enjoyable few hours cuddled up with a book.

You can't help but love Phrynie, who takes no guff from anyone and has a heart as big as an ocean.  Having come from a poor background, Phrynie is very empathetic and generous with those she deems worthy. Having been treated badly during her early years, Phrynie has no energy or compassion to waste on those who treat others shabbily and/or victimize others.  

She is high spirited and adventurous.  She knows exactly what she wants out of life and she is not going to allow anyone to stand in her way.

In this 3rd book, Phrynie and her companion, Dot, are traveling on the Ballarat train when they are suddenly overtaken by the smell of chloroform while in their sleeping car.  Phrynie is able to shoot out a window and clear her head enough to save the other passengers of the sleeping car discovering that one of the passengers, an elderly woman, is missing. 

Thus begins another fun adventure with Phrynie who is hired by the woman's daughter to find the killer.  I had taken a copy of a book that I had borrowed from my friend Kirsten, containing the first 3 stories of this series, with me to Dominica.  I had read the first two books and was planning on finishing the third while on vacation.  My friend, Linda, was out of reading material and since I had my Nook with me, I loaned her this series.  She LOVED it and has continued on to read the next 3 in the series as well.  She likens the books to "Nancy Drew for adults".

The book was returned to me last week and I finished up this story last night.  Linda is now traveling in Asia but when she gets home I am going to borrow the next three stories so stay tuned folks.




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good series. Right up my alley!! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like it Paula. Phrynie kind of reminds me of you. A very strong woman with a very soft heart.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.